<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > Thankful for the kindness of strangers
 

Thankful for the kindness of strangers

March 4th, 2013 at 03:43 pm

Today was a Monday in every sense of the word! In attempting to make my train, I tripped and fell on the sidewalk. Unbeknownst to me, my pocketbook opened and my two checkbooks fell out. I had no idea until I was arriving home this evening. An elderly gentleman out for a walk found my checkbooks and called my house. I picked them up on my way home, safe and sound.

I feel SO fortunate that they were found and returned, without the hassle of having to close and switch accounts. I'm also lucky it wasn't snowy or rainy, in which case they would have been ruined.

And the meeting I was rushing to catch the train for was cancelled. :|

Last night we FINALLY pulled together our taxes, and hubby mailed them off to the Accountant today. The results will be dreadful - we're going to owe many thousands of dollars. (That'll teach us to not increase the estimated tax we pay throughout the year when we see things are going well). The accountant gave us a heads up a few months ago, so we've been setting aside money, but it will still be painful to write the check. I'm just glad that the task is done so we can move on.

I also put $9 into the Yahtzee challenge last week, bring my total to $70.

DS has a basketball game tonight, then dinner, then RELAXING for me! Much needed after this day.

8 Responses to “Thankful for the kindness of strangers”

  1. creditcardfree Says:

    Oh, you are so lucky!! Enjoy your evening.

  2. PNW mom Says:

    Sounds like a tough day! Hope your evening is better!

  3. Wino Says:

    I firmly believe that 99% of the people who might have found your checkbooks would have done the same thing as the gentleman who helped you. The remaining 1% includes janitorial staff who would have thrown it away or put it in lost & found - which is easiest and probably according to their instructions - and the miniscule number of people who would have tried to personally benefit from the dropped items. I would have offered the gentleman something in return for his kindness. If he refused, I would have gotten his name and given a bit more in the collection plate in his honor and had him mentioned at church as a good Samaritan (assuming your church does similar to mine in after-service announcements).

  4. FrugalTexan75 Says:

    Yay for people who go out of their way for others!

  5. LuckyRobin Says:

    I'm so glad you got your checkbooks back. That could have turned out entirely differently. I hope you weren't hurt when you fell.

  6. CB in the City Says:

    Sounds like you were unhurt -- that may be even luckier than getting your checkbooks back!

  7. Joan.of.the.Arch Says:

    You're okay from the fall then? Did your clothes survive the spill okay? I'm imagining work clothes mopping up wet grime on the sidewalk.

  8. rachel021406 Says:

    Sorry for the fall...but your story still gives me hope for mankind. So glad you got your checkbook back. And we are also in the tax boat....but we weren't as prepared. Lesson learned though.

    Hope today is better.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 9.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]